Saturday, February 02, 2013

Back in the saddle

I don't know where the time went, but I am pretty sure it went out for a walk, looking for my motivation, which seemed to disappear right after the Maine Senior State Games on September 9. It didn't actually disappear, more like it faded away...looking at my Strava rides from 2012, I rode consistently in June and July, shorter in August (probably convincing myself that I was "tapering"). The races were on September 9; a 40k Road Race (Gold Medal in my age group), followed by a 20k Road Race (Silver Medal in my age group), followed by a 10k Time Trial (Gold Medal in my age group). I had wanted to do well, because they were qualifiers for the National Senior Games, that will be held in early August 2013 in Cleveland, Ohio. I qualified. Good enough, apparently, because from then until now, I have put in less hours on the bike than I did in July (just the one month, while we are talking about less time being spent in five months by way of comparison). In January 2013, I did something I have not done in over 5 years; I did NOT get on a bike in the entire month. What else happened in that time? I gained some weight, and generally did not feel very good. Oddly enough, my recent Hemoglobin A1c test results do not look like those of a man who suddenly stopped doing the thing he has done for five years to manage his blood glucose. My doctor was, I think, a little put out that she did not have that to hold over my head. Regardless, it is time for a change. I rode today, started putting in some base miles. It was 26 degrees when I left home, but I didn't really feel the cold until I was only about 15 minutes from the end of the ride (even then, it was just my toes, which I forgot to put warmers on). It wasn't a pretty ride, cold and blustery, and it wasn't a fun ride, but it did have a certain satisfaction built into it. I'm glad to be back. Thanks for being with me.